The Watchcon radio network links all Hout Bay and Llandudno first responders into a single, common, quick response network.
Becoming a HBNW radio owner is more than just acquiring another level of security for you and your family’s defence, it allows you to contribute towards improving your community’s safety.
- Ch1 watchcon (daily communication)
- Ch2 sleeper for your area receive only
- Ch3 general chat
- Ch4 general chat
- Ch5 digital Penzance repeater
- Ch6 digital Suikerbossie repeater
Since 2015 we have been involved in a continuous upgrade process of the HBNW Watchcon Radio Network to provide:
- increased security of all users and responders
- expanded reception area to reach weak reception and currently various "no reception" hotspots.
- easier implementation for future integration with neighbouring NW and other responder networks.
1. Village West
Hout Bay Heights
2. Village East
3. Disa West
4. Disa East
5. Valley West
6. Valley East
Old Analogue System
These handsets will continue to operate until at least December 2020.
Residents can benefit from the old network until the batteries need to be replaced or like to transition onto the new digital network.
Second-hand radio: R600 (based on stock)
Reprogramming fee: R100
Replacement battery: R355
Radio Holder: R161
R30 per month
Exemption of the Monthly Fee:
If you are an active member:
- participating daily in scheduled patrols and operations
- reacting daily as a regular responder to incidents
- productively serving daily in our community safety structures
- donating R150 or more to the general HBNW fund
- NB: If you are an existing donor and want to cover your radio fee within your existing donation you will still be required to split the donation so that the radio fee operates as a distinct separate Debit Order.
New Digital Network
All active (Daily on air users) HBNW, CCP, Armed Response Officers, SAPS, Metro Law Enforcement reservists, Fire & Rescue, HB Volunteer Emergency Medical Service, SANPark Rangers responders are on the new network.
Residents can transition onto the new digital network. The DP0405 can operate on both the old and new networks, so responders on the new digital can still communicate directly with the old analogue system.
New Digital Radio: R2,700
(includes programming fee)
R50 per month
- to cover the maintenance of the radio network
- To increase security
- To cover the ICASA licence fees
- To contribute to sustaining HBNW Watchcon systems and operations
Order via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Need to be a HBNW member
- Have a SAPS police clearance. HBNW provides a letter to SAPS to support this request.
- Proof of payments
Account name: Hout Bay Neighbourhood Watch
Account No: 167 602 9133
Branch: Hout Bay
Branch code: 167 609
Account type: Cheque
- Once off payment for radio
- Recurring EFT for monthly fee or debit order form
Once received and the radio is programmed we will arrange delivery to you.
Radio Debit Order
Becoming a member of the HBNW and joining the Watchcon network is your voluntary contribution to supporting a community organisation dedicated to preventing crime. HBNW and the Watchcon network are not in any way obligated to deliver security services to the protection of yourself or your property. Your participation in HBNW activities and use of the Watchcon network is undertaken entirely at your own risk and in so doing you agree to the terms as laid out in the Hout Bay Neighbourhood Watch Constitution as well as the “Western Cape Constitution and Code Of Conduct for Neighbourhood Watch Structures” under which HBNW operates. Please see Documents.
Important Notes to Radio Holders
Radio Holders may NOT sell, donate, loan or otherwise transfer the Radio to another person, without notifying HBNW Admin. Each Radio carries a serial number which allows the Watchcon Controllers to identify each Radio Holder. Radio Holders must make every effort to ensure that their radio is safely secured.
If a radio is lost or stolen immediately report the loss to email@example.com.